US Businesses Growing Concerned Over Federal Deficit, Says J.P. Morgan (NYSE:JPM)
Wednesday, May 5th, 2010
Jamie Dimon, CEO of J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. (NYSE:JPM), said in a talk to business executives attending a meeting of the Business Council, that business leaders are starting to get very concerned about the long-term consequences of the deficits of the U.S. government, as it continues to increase in the entitlement culture expanding under the Obama administration.
Specifically noted by chairman and CEO of Caterpillar (NYSE:CAT), Jim Owens, was the increasing costs of Medicare and Medicaid, which Owens said was an "unsustainable, untenable situation with the deficit in the near-term future."
Owens added that the cost of Medicare and Medicaid is growing faster than gross domestic product, and is the core of a very large problem as a result of the increased spending as a result of health-care.
Owens, who is chairman of the business council, said if something isn't done to deal with the situation, we're headed for a "train wreck."
while Dimon said there are some positive signs in the economy, the entitlement culture can't be sustained at these levels, and unless that's cut back, or we're taxed to death, it won't matter what the economy does, as it can be paid for.
Just look at the sovereign debt crisis in Europe to see that you can't develop a culture of entitlement and expect the productive to pay for it. It doesn't work.
While that wasn't specifically state, that is the road we're travelling on if we don't slash entitlement programs.
Article by Gary B
The views expressed are the subjective opinion of the article's author and not of FinancialAdvisory.com
Tags: business council , federal deficits , jp morgan , sovereign debt crisis
• JP Morgan Looking for Buy-In with Twitter
• JP Morgan Downgrades Wal-Mart to Neutral Status
• Skepticism Growing Over EU Bailout, Stocks Down
• Will European Bailout Crush Companies with Large Exposure There?
• Canada's Dollar Surges to Highest Level for Day in Year
• European Sovereign Risk Growing Concern for U.S. Businesses and Banks
• Greece Debt Crisis Continues to Weigh on Everything
• Bank of America (NYSE:BAC) Bailout Warrants Surge 33% in 3 Weeks
• JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE:JPM): Another $221 Billion May Be Needed to for Regulatory Compliance
• What are refinancing rates?
• Compare equity vs debt?
• What is intellectual property rights?
• Where in Jakarta is the best location to...
• Which investment banks are based in New ...
• What are the different types of Suncoast...
• Is a 401k a pension plan?
• What are unsecured deposit notes?