CME Group Making Bid for NYSE?
Monday, February 14th, 2011
The buzz in the financial world lately has largely been centering on the anticipated merger between Deutsch Börse AG and the New York Stock Exchange’s Euronext, but according to reports today there might be another potential bidder in the market. CME Group Inc., a major owner of derivatives and futures exchanges in both New York and Chicago, is reputed to be contemplating making a last minute bid. This report drew on the quotations of several bankers from the group.
The deal between Deutsche Börse and the NYSE is for now still anticipated to go through as early as Tuesday. Deutsche Börse has confirmed it will release the broad outlay of a pact they have agreed upon on this date. Issues of the exact exchange ratio and the premium paid to NYSE are yet to be determined. The Reuters article announcing this merger stated there are still many issues that could derail the merger apart from the potential CME bid. Political issues with the international merger have to be addressed as well as the regulatory and political landscape the deal might confront in Europe.
In the Chicago Tribune’s analysis, the ambition to buy Euronext has never been about stock trading markets and rather about gaining access to profitable derivative markets. The significance of this deal for many economists and finance experts is the declining role of stock trading in the marketplace, and the growing impact of futures and derivatives exchange.
Despite this, analysts have predicted that CME Group may still make a last minute bid or potentially team up with the Nasdaq’s OMX Group to purchase NYSE Euronext. CME has declined to comment on these rumors. Reuters has validated that this is a real possibility and may result in a potential bidding war between the companies.
Article by Andrew Timm
The views expressed are the subjective opinion of the article's author and not of FinancialAdvisory.com
Tags: cme group , derivatives , deutsche boerse , frankfurt , merger , nyse
• Exchange Merger: OMX and IntercontinentalExchange (ICE) Make Hostile Bid for NYSE Euronext
• Ventas Acquiring Nationwide in $7.4 Billion Merger
• Merger Talks between Nasdaq OMX and ICE?
• Deutsche Boerse-NYSE Merger to be Incorporated in Netherlands
• Deutsche Boerse, NYSE Merger Hits Snags
• Deutsch Boerse and NYSE Stock Exchange Merger Talks
• Sanofi Expected to Make Offer to Genzyme This Week
• Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE:BRK) Profitable in First Quarter
• NYSE Euronext (NYSE:NYX) CEO Looking to Derivatives for Revenue Growth
• AIG (NYSE:AIG) May Want Even More Taxpayer Money after Fourth Quarter Results
• How big of a mortgage can i afford?
• How to invest in silver?
• How to find abn?
• How to prequalify for a mortgage?
• How do credit bureaus determine your cre...
• What is interest rate parity?
• Who are the major car rental companies o...
• What are the different types of ASB cred...