Sigma Pharmaceuticals CEO Quits After Terrible Annual Results
Thursday, April 15th, 2010
A couple of weeks after revealing annual results which were far below even the low expectations of investors and analysts, Sigma Pharmaceuticals Ltd. Chief Executive Elmo de Alwis announced today that he has resigned from his CEO position.
Although having officially resigned from Sigma, de Alwis will stay on with the company until a replacement is found, of which a search is already underway.
Losses for the year were $363 million, and evidently after that poor performance de Alwis felt it was a hopeless cause, and after fighting in the beginning to keep his job, acquiesced to pressure to step down.
Those highly critical of de Alwis noted there was no way he could stay with the company after the results came out. Sigma had been suspended from trading because it had entered into negotiations with its creditors concerning its high debt load. That ended up with the report being released a month after it was scheduled to.
News of de Alwis' departure seems to have already been priced into the stock, as it remained relatively level, although it did get a 2 cent bump immediately after the announcement.
It also seems to say that the removal of de Alwis was considered the right thing to do, as the lack of response to the news seems to have shown.
Much of the disappointment came from faulty guidance, where the company said it would generate a modest profit in September, when in fact it wasn't even close to the reality of the performance of the company.
Sigma said their search for de Alwis' replacement will go outside the company, as they need someone with a fresh outlook and who can see things from an objective viewpoint.
Article by Gary B
The views expressed are the subjective opinion of the article's author and not of FinancialAdvisory.com
Tags: australia business , business , elmo de alwis , sigma , sigma pharmaceuticals
• Google Changes Algorithm, Game Changer for Web Traffic?
• Nyrstar May Forego Expanding in Australia Because of Super Tax
• General Electric (NYSE:GE) in "Country to Company" Relationship to China
• Telstra (ASX:TLS) in Turmoil as CEO David Thodey Takes Charge
• Rio Tinto (ASE:RIO) Australian Executive Confesses to Accepting Bribes in China
• China Warns Australia on Rio Tinto (LON:RIO) Case
• Telstra Corp. (ASE:TLS) in a Time of Change
• Royal Dutch Shell (NYSE:RDS-B) Expected to Raise Arrow Energy Offer
• Arrow Energy (ASX:AOE) Gets $3 Billion Bids from Shell and PetroChina
• Business Council of Australia Pressures Government to Quickly Restore Surplus
• U.S. Businesses Ready to Grow, but Not Ready to Hire
• Trade Deficit in Canada is First Annual Shortfall Since 1975
• China Indicts Four Rio Tinto (LON:RIO) Employees
• 3M (NYSE:MMM) Declares Dividend for 374th Straight Quarter and 52nd Straight Year
• How to register a company in Philippines...
• What is pmi mip funding fee?
• How to apply for abn in australia?
• Where to buy an investment property in t...
• What is a Variable Rate Accumulation CD ...
• What are the different types of Barclays...
• Who are the major mortgage lenders in Sa...
• What is a bank deposit?