Secrets of Google (Nasdaq:GOOG), YouTube Deal Revealed
Saturday, March 20th, 2010
The first of a number of Google secrets has come out, as the lawsuit with Viacom and Google continues and court-ordered documents cast light on some of the specifics of the YouTube deal and other information.
First of all, and what most of us that followed the process already knew, was YouTube was acquired at a steep premium, with Google CEO Eric Schmidt saying he had the company valued at about $600 to $700 million, while paying $1.65 billion for a company. I would say paying $1 billion more than you think the company is worth is definitely a premium.
The justification for the extreme price paid for YouTube was the time factor, which the premium accounted for if Google was to end up with YouTube.
YouTube founders did great with the deal, as CEO Chad Hurley received a payday of $334 million, all in Google stock, and co-founder Steve Chen was awarded with $301 million in stock, while Jawed Karim landed $66 million. Not bad for a couple of years worth of work.
Sequoia Capital made out like bandits in the deal as well, getting over half a billion for their short-term involvement, receiving $516 million in Google stock. Taking into consideration they only invested $9 million in YouTube, that's a tremendous return on investment.
Artis Capital Management didn't do too shabby on the deal either, as their $3 million investment received $85 million when Google bought the video site.
Article by Gary B
The views expressed are the subjective opinion of the article's author and not of FinancialAdvisory.com
Tags: chad hurley , google , steven chen , youtube
• Google Search the Bread and Butter of Google
• Justice Department Allows Google ITA Acquisition, Lobbying Effort Begins
• Google Changes Algorithm, Game Changer for Web Traffic?
• Will Apple finally put a crosshair on Google?
• Why Google TV will give rise to real independent tv but change Hollywood forever.
• Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT) About to Enter "Cloud" with Small Business Apps
• Is Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) Going to Decide What News We Watch?
• Yahoo (Nasdaq:YHOO), Microsoft (Nasdaq:MSFT) Gain on Google (Nasdaq:GOOG) in Search Share Battle
• Has Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) China Strategy Backfired?
• Google (Nasdaq:GOOG), Microsoft (Nasdaq:MSFT) and China
• Google (NASDAQ:GOOG), Yahoo (NASDAQ:YHOO) , Facebook, eBay (NASDAQ:EBAY), Others, Battling British Piracy Bill
• Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) Launching Android Business App Market?
• Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) Under Attack from All Quarters
• Apple, Microsoft and Google - Who Has Performed The Best
• When will the irs start accepting 2009 r...
• Who are the major US online trading comp...
• Which credit report do banks use?
• What happens if you default on an sba lo...
• What is needed to get a loan?
• Which are the best investment banking fi...
• What are the advantages in investing in ...
• What do you need to open up a bank accou...