Ventas Acquiring Nationwide in $7.4 Billion Merger
Monday, February 28th, 2011
The Chicago-based investment trust Ventas Inc. has come to an agreement to buy Newport Beach-based Nationwide Health Properties Inc. in a stock-swap merger worth roughly $7.4 billion. This would make the largest health-care Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) by equity valuation according to the Wall Street Journal’s Market Watch. The deal will double Ventas’ portfolio to more than 1,300 properties affiliated with health care real estate.
Shares of Nationwide Health Properties (NHP) posted gains of 9 percent rising to $42.45, and Ventas Inc. (VTR) posted loses of almost 4 percent to $55.04 at close this past Friday. According to current market prices, NHP is currently at $42.99 and VTR is currently at $55.66. The deal struck by the companies would essentially give Nationwide stockholders $44.99 per share, which would be a 15 percent premium.
The boards from both companies have unanimously approved the terms, and in sum, the Ventas shareholders would own a 65 percent stake in the merger while Nationwide would hold a 35 percent stake. The portfolio of Ventas Inc. will expand across the country and in Canada to more than 1,300 properties ranging from medical office buildings, skilled nursing facilities, specialty hospitals, and continuing care treatment communities. Ventas acquired Atria Senior Living Group in a $1.5 billion merger last October, setting in motion its endeavor to become the biggest REIT in the country.
Both REIT companies focus on the niche market of health care, with a secondary specialty in senior housing. The merger will result in the companies holding 100 regional operators and other publicly held tenants such as Brookdale Senior Living (BKD), Kindred Healthcare Inc. (KND), and Sunrise Assisted Living Inc. (SRZ). All of the affiliated acquisitions have posted gains since the news has been announced.
Article by Andrew Timm
The views expressed are the subjective opinion of the article's author and not of FinancialAdvisory.com
Tags: chicago , merger , nationwide , reit , ventas
• Exchange Merger: OMX and IntercontinentalExchange (ICE) Make Hostile Bid for NYSE Euronext
• Merger Talks between Nasdaq OMX and ICE?
• Deutsche Boerse-NYSE Merger to be Incorporated in Netherlands
• CME Group Making Bid for NYSE?
• Deutsche Boerse, NYSE Merger Hits Snags
• Deutsch Boerse and NYSE Stock Exchange Merger Talks
• Sanofi Expected to Make Offer to Genzyme This Week
• Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE:BRK-A) Looking at Real Estate Sector
• How to prequalify for a mortgage?
• What is a tax-free savings account?
• which banks to invest in?
• What is the current risk free interest r...
• What is loan syndication?
• What do you need to open up a bank accou...
• Where can you get traditional paper impr...
• Who are APRA?